Monday, April 7, 2014

Jackson, Wyoming


Snapshot: Have you ever heard someone refer to the West as "God's Country"? Go to the mountains in Wyoming, and you'll understand, even if you're not the least bit religious.  Even the view from Jackson Airport is stunning: gigantic mountains coming out of the earth, a bluebird clear sky, and the freshest of air.  The people are incredibly friendly, but you'll see more wildlife than people anyway.  

My Authority: all I know is from one five-day trip. I know, that doesn't sound like much, but the experience will absolutely last a lifetime. (Okay yeah I get that I'm a nerd. It's fine.)

You Should: 
#1: Ski at Jackson Hole (if you dare...muahaha) Jackson Hole is considered to have the most difficult terrain in North America.  Watch a YouTube video of people skiing Corbet's Couloir if you don't believe me.  Luckily, you can have a hell of a ski weekend even if you're more of an intermediate skier... (beginners, well, I'd recommend hanging out in the lodge with a mug of hot chocolate.)  We took the tram up to the top, which was a thrilling experience in itself. Then I held my breath and charged down Rendezvous Bowl with my powder skirt firmly in place, and my inhaler within close reach (the summit is 10,450 feet.)  The coolest part about skiing at Jackson, especially if you've only ever skied out east, is the terrain... it's so wild and beautiful.

#2: Take a snowmobile tour to Yellowstone National Park (or get there by bus if you're going in the warmer months.) We did an all-day snowmobile tour, and I kid you not, it was literally one of the best days of my life. We got all bundled up in the warmest winter gear, drove our own snowmobiles through miles of terrain, and saw moose as well as bison (the bison were actually walking along next to us.) Old Faithful is obviously worth seeing, too. Amazing, amazing stuff.


#3: Try eating game (but only if you're not afraid of the possibility of $h!tting your brains out.)  Conversely, go out to a nice dinner, followed by drinks, at the silver dollar bar & grill at the Wort Hotel. 


#4: Walk around the quaint town of Jackson, feeling like a real cowboy/girl, and buy yourself a nice leather souvenir that you'll actually use (like a leather wallet or purse.)


#5: Stay at a hotel in the town of Jackson (rather than Teton Village/Jackson Hole itself) unless you're cool with spending thousands of dollars per night.


You Should Not: neglect to build up endurance if you plan to ski at Jackson Hole.  I highly recommend doing squats, jogging and skiing a few times at smaller mountains before you take on Jackson Hole; You also should not eat too much gamey meat because you will regret that.

Best for: couples or small groups who love to ski; a romantic getaway; people who want to get away from the city and experience an absolutely unique and beautiful place

No comments:

Post a Comment